When I saw this post from AngelaRoseHome I knew I wanted to take my cabinets to the ceiling. Turns out it wasn’t too difficult to do. This is what I was working with when we first moved in.
First, I removed the trim from the top of the cabinets. This wasn’t too hard to do, mine were just installed with brad nails, no glue. I used a tiny crow bar and just wiggled the trim a big to take it off. Some of the nails stuck in the cabinets so I did have to pry those out.
Then I took measurements and made boxes out of plywood. I inset the screws so they wouldn’t affect how the boxes sat on the cabinets instead of using pocket holes. These star head screws are my favorite to use because it’s very difficult to strip these out.
Once I got the boxes put together I test fit them to make sure they would fit before I put the back on. I built them pretty exact so there wasn’t a lot of wiggle room. If I built these again I’d leave more wiggle room because come to find out the walls are never perfectly straight! I did leave room in the back, but not the sides so I did struggle a little to get these exactly in place.
After I put the back on (I used brown board for this) I installed some block on the tops of the cabinets with wood glue and screws to give me something to screw the boxes into.
I took a scrap piece of 1×2 and placed it in front of the box when I was screwing it into place to make sure I positioned the boxes perfectly so the face frame would sit perfectly flush with the existing cabinets. 1x2s are used for a face frame.
The box over the microwave was a lot shorter than the rest so I had a hard time screwing it in with a regular drill bit. Tyler had a 90 degree bit that I borrowed to get this box installed.
Once I got all the boxes installed, I added the face frame, one piece at a time. This probably would have been easier if I had put together the face frame first, with pocket holes. That way the pieces would be flush before it was installed.
At first, I used a 1×5 piece of wood for the top trim, but wood tends to warp and is bendy and wasn’t sitting up there perfectly. So I took it down and replaced it with a baseboard made of MDF. It was easier to work with and was already primed and ready to paint. Also, after I took that wood down I realized I needed something to attach it to. So I put some L shaped spacers up on top that I made out of scrap wood. I just used brad nails to install it. I also used base cap moulding on top of the baseboard to give it a more decorative and finished look.
All kitchen links can be found here.
Next up, I painted my kitchen cabinets.